14 November 2012

The vital spark of Louise Brooks

There is an intensity to Louise Brooks that I respect. Her ability to be fascinates me. She radiates vitality. To watch her energy and movement in Pandora's Box is to witness a new form of creation. Frankly, I'm amazed at how cinematography could make one woman look so enthralling. It is the mercurial possession of her acting that is so inspiring. She personifies Lulu with such energy that it almost seems to overwhelm the film. I'm not sure how more people remain unaware of this film. Unlike the inward isolation and threatened withdrawal of a Garbo and the decadent stillness and hearty irony of a Dietrich, Brooks commands by moving her body. No words; just actions. Amazing. I recommend Pandora's Box to one and all so they can witness this most unique woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

page daily hits
Promo Numbers